Alternative Timeline and compare

Is it possible to have an alternative timeline?
I want to be able to compare the timelines, maybe via overlay or else.
I want to be able to switch the alternative timeline on and off.
Is this currently possible or with a workaround to come close?

That depends on how your timelines differ. If they are based on the same calendar, you could try using two arcs to which you assign the events of the alternative timelines.

I have no experience with using arcs. Is there a example to understand this feature.
There is one calendar.
Today I have assigned a tag to the alternative part of the timeline.
With a Filter I can switch it on and off.
What is the difference when I use an arc to filter or is there more to say?

This is how I do it with Aeon Timeline 2:

1. Create two arcs, e.g. “Main timeline” and “Alternate timeline”.
  2. Group the events by arcs in the timeline view.
  3. Create some events in the “Main timeline” arc.
  4. Select the created events and copy them.
  5. Select the copied events and drag them into the “Alternate timeline” area.
  6. Optionally change the color of the “alternate” events.

This is how it looks like:

alternate timelines

If you use Aeon Timeline 3, there may be a similar way. Just consult the Knowledge Base.

Our help document on how to use arcs is here: How To Use Story Arcs - Aeon Timeline 3 Knowledge Base

The “Group by” functionality from version 2 mentioned above is also available, which you can read about here: How to Use the Group By Functionality - Aeon Timeline 3 Knowledge Base

@jess Could I also use the story arcs system/grouped system to use with multiple drafts?
For example, I’ve written draft 1 based on the first storyline. With the developmental edit I discover that I need to adjust my timeline, But I don’t want it to influence my first draft. Instead I want to essentially copy it to a new timeline/story arc and connect that storyline to the draft 2 folder in my manuscript. That way Draft 1 remains unchanged and I can safely work in draft 2.

Thank you for the help!

I don’t know what the OP’s intentions are, and whether my suggestions have reached him at all. I was thinking of the concept of “alternative history”, as known from science fiction.

What I wouldn’t do under any circumstances would be to put different novel drafts in one file. Imagine adding a third or fourth draft (as a software developer, I have experience with the branches of a development line).

My recommendation: Keep the novel manuscript and the Timeline project consistent, and create different drafts by copying and modifying the whole set in separate folders.

1 Like

Oh, i recognize the need for versioning from working with models and such as well! :smiley:

In Scrivener I currently have my manuscript set up like this:
Manuscript

• Developmental drafts
    – Draft 0
    – Draft 1
    – Draft 2
    – etc.

And because I can’t seem to be to go deeper into the list on the forum:
Draft 0

• Chapter 1
    – scene 1

Because I’ve decided to first write the whole series and only then divide it in books I have it this way.

In Scrivener I have a folder for each draft, in each draft a folder for each chapter and in that a folder for each scene. (which I might change, because in the past I’ve written chapters as a whole instead of per scene, which seemed to work for me perfectly)

I was thinking initially connecting each draft to its own timeline. So essentially copy the original timeline in Aeon and then use the new timeline with the new draft with syncing it with the specific draft folder. That way I can keep the original timeline with the original draft.

Was I thinking wrongly here?

Thanks again for all your advise! I find it highly useful!

Well, we’re getting way off topic here, aren’t we?

I don’t use Scrivener, so I can’t say anything about it. However, my writing process is fundamentally different from my software development process. For software, of course, I use a version control system (Git). When writing on a novel, my brain works in a different mode than when programming software.

For novel writing, I stick to a single working copy of my writing project. There I can mark sections and chapters as “unused” so that they do not appear in the word count and are not exported to the manuscript. This way, I can keep alternative sections available if necessary.

My self-written synchronization program for Aeon Timeline 2 does not take unused sections into account.

To ensure that nothing is lost, I have an automatic backup program that saves the changes to a USB stick every hour. In case of emergency, I can restore the project as it was at a certain point in time. However, there are no defined version statuses. If I wanted that, I would simply set aside a copy.

1 Like

Perhaps a little bit :smiley:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. For now I’ll stick with the way I set up Scrivener. And perhaps use a new Aeon Timeline project for each draft where needed instead of using the alternative timeline system. I’ll see how I can make it work :smiley:

Thanks again for all your help!