Constraint or dependency?

I have reviewed the Knowledgebase article on constraints and dependencies,
as well as other project management websites to familiarize myself with the topic.
This is my first one.

I am using Aeon Timeline to track my new employment that I’ve been hired for, as a tutorial.
I have 5 items I need to complete before I get certification.
The certification Website is the last step and concludes my certification the week of March 6, 2023.

The other items I can complete and check off anytime before the week of March 6, 2023.
It doesn’t matter when those items get done.
I am using the week of March 6, 2023 as the completion week of my certification.

Do I use a constraint or a dependency?

(I am using an iPad Pro)

Sounds like a case for a parent event, which will stretch to match the earliest start/latest end for all events. That’s assuming you want a container to hold all five events.

Parents and dependencies are not mutually exclusive. Any event can have one, the other, or both.

I think the effect of having a date constraint is to set a warning message if you violate the constraint.

Timeline dependencies flag warnings if the start and finish dates of a dependent event don’t conform to the events they depend on. Timeline dependencies are either “blocks” another event or is “blocked by” another event, with choices as to what start and finish dates are used.

Use a timeline dependency if something can’t start/end until before/after another event starts/ends. I think I have that right.

Thanks for your reply.
The last couple of days I have been reading up on Parent Event.

I have been trying to keep track of 3 things in Aeon:
1.) My employment tasks, to start in March
2.) My house closing on Feb 23rd (next week)
3.) And a historical book I have been trying to keep track of dates

So I apologize for not getting back sooner, but I have been busy trackingand have been doing lots of reading of Aeon’s help as a novice.…I am still reading.

1 Like