Difference between a character and a cast member?

I’m trying to chart out a limited series for television and chose a template that’s giving me the option to create both “characters” and “cast members” and I can’t find anything that tells me what the difference is between the two or why/when I should choose one over the other. I’m pretty bogged down in just getting as much historical information into AT as possible and haven’t had a chance to try using it so I haven’t stumbled across the answer to this question myself. I’d rather not go too far down the wrong road exploring the issue. Hoping someone has or can point me to an answer, thanks!

The character of Father Mulcahy was played by the actor Rene Auberjonois in the movie version of MAS*H; the character in the TV series was played by William Christopher.

One character, many cast members. Think Dr. Who.

1 Like

Good example. The other way round: In “Fargo”, Ewan McGregor plays both Emmit Stussy and Ray Stussy (though not twins).

That makes sense in either case but how would I use cast member in AT other than to keep track of who I’d like to have play a particular character, or who’s agreed to, etc? And is there no explanation of the item cast member because it was created as part of a template by a third party, not by the AT team?

Can’t we basically speak of two different timelines here?

1. the narrative timeline, where the characters count.
  2. the production timeline, where the cast counts.
1 Like

That makes sense in either case but how would I use cast member in AT other than to keep track of who I’d like to have play a particular character, or who’s agreed to, etc?

It’s probably for exactly that.

I’ve not used the template or, for that matter, written a script or screenplay (I’m writing a novel series). That said, I know this is probably stating the obvious, but a template is malleable; if you don’t need to track cast members, delete that particular type. You can always add it back in later if you change your mind.