Documenting technical changes to your timeline

I am continuing to work on what I envisage to be a significant timeline with lots of event types, data items, parameters etc and am somewhat concerned that as I introduce new aspects I will break something. So, I am wondering how best to keep a record of the changes I am making i.e. Release notes .

Is there a recognised best way of doing this or is it something I need to document outside of AEON Timeline. If that is the case this might be something worth adding to the ever growing feature requests list.

The professional approach here would be to use a version control system.
You could use a private repository at GitHub or GitLab for your timeline and a desktop client to document and save the changes. The advantage over a plain change list (whether in an Aeon Timeline element or in a separate file) is that you can revert to previous versions. You can also create branches to try things out. Of course, this is also a first-class data backup.

For text files, the desktop client shows the differences to the previous version, so if you store a csv export file along with your timeline, you can see the changes in every version:

Edit:
Updated the screenshot with an Aeon 2 example made on the fly.

Thanks for the response, I am familiar with Github in relation to programming, but had not considered it for this project. It’s not so much a case of me managing changes to the data, i.e. making a back up, it’s more a case of tracking changes to item types, relationships, parameters, etc that I might make.

As far as I am aware, such changes are not recorded in any of the export methods, e.g. csv files.

I wondered if anyone was managing the tracking in Aeon itself. I can think of a couple of potential ways of doing it but wondered how others might do this, if at all.

Are you looking for a way to store project annotations in a similar way to Office documents where there usually is a “Document Properties” dialog?

I still use Aeon Timeline 2, there are the “Notifications” (Ctrl-Alt-T) under the menu item “Timeline”. I would enter my change notes here if necessary. I don’t know where to find the equivalent in Aeon 3, if there is one.

That’s right. If I wanted to track project metadata via version control, I would extract the corresponding text from the .aeon file. Some time ago, I published a script that exports the JSON part from the Aeon 2 and Aeon 3 files.

The Aeon 3 sample project looks like this:

This means that changes to the project structure can already be visualised. If I wanted to make it even more convenient, I would extend the script so that it resolves the references and discards the data I don’t need. I would then hook that script into the Git commit.
But that’s just a side note.