Experiences syncing with Scrivener 2 and Scrivener 3

I’m not confident either of the following are bugs, but rather my misunderstanding of the software:

I have some projects in Scrivener 2 (for legacy reasons) and some in Scrivener 3, so I’ve been testing Aeon Timeline syncing with both, particularly its ability to automatically close and reopen Scrivener projects.

For my Scrivener 2 projects, Aeon Timeline doesn’t appear to be able to close and reopen them at all. I get the warning, “Aeon Timeline cannot update your project while it is open in Scrivener. Please close your project and try again.” Which is pretty much how Aeon Timeline 2 behaved. Is this expected behaviour? Is the feature only available for Scrivener 3 projects?

I also struggled to get Aeon to close and reopen my Scrivener 3 projects. It would close the file, but fail to reopen it. I tracked the problem down to my having the Scrivener Startup option “Show template chooser when there are no projects open” ticked. Once that is removed, the automatic reopening works fine.

I’ll confess, I haven’t worked my way through all the Aeon documentation yet, so this might be mentioned somewhere. Is this all as expected, or am I doing something wrong?

Hi Bigland,
You don’t mention if you are on Mac or Windows, but I am pretty sure it is Windows?

You are right that auto-closing is only supported in Scrivener 3, as it required an addition from the Scrivener side to respond to the command, which they only put in there.

So the auto-prompt really should only be shown for version 3, and version 2 will have to be manual.

For the second option, I will do some testing to confirm this. But that will actually be a bug in Scrivener failing to respond to our request, which I will have to pass onto the Scrivener team.

Yes, sorry, I’m using Windows 10. Good to know about Scrivener 2 - I can live with that.