Have collapsible events in subway view?

When making my events on the calendar, I struggle in how detailed the individual events should be, and wonder if I should just keep it to grand events. If I make detailed events for different big events, looking at them in the subway view can sometimes be weird. I wish somehow in subway view we could highlight a range of events under a bigger event, and maybe be able to collapse them to get a simplified version of the subway view. Is this possible at all?

I’m not sure of the context of your events. I’m writing a novel series so that is my context. In my case, then, events = scenes. A few words in the scene name that show on the subway view are all I usually need to bring to mind the full scene, though if helpful I can drill down into the drafted scene in Scrivener or my notes in Obsidian.

I see that you would find it helpful in Subway view to see a “range of events under a bigger event.” For me, that need is served by viewing the Outline and sometimes Narrative views, where my scenes are nested under chapter folders. I haven’t felt a need for any kind of nesting in Subway view, though I can see how it could be helpful.

For a simplified Subway view, I use the “Choose tracks” selector as well as the various relationship panels for further filtering.

I don’t know if any of this is helpful but I hope so.

It might just be an issue of how I perceived myself using the timeline to plan my plot. In my way, I would create “Scene A” as an event with the following child events.

“Character A enters”
“Character B enters”
“Character A and Character B meet at X location”
“Characters A+B encounter Character C, the antagonist”

I usually plot smaller actions within a scene because I like seeing how the subway view plots their presence in the scene. It may be true that I should just keep the smaller actions in the outline/narrative view, but I like seeing the journey of the characters in the subway view.

If I was able to just collapse all the children events under the parent event in subway I think it would fix my issue, as if I expanded my timeline a lot, the child events of a scene would be a lot to sift through in the perspective of greater events.

TLDR I guess I have to rethink how I format stuff.

1 Like

Makes perfect sense, Lance.