Import/Exporting CSV data and updates

So I’m trying to come up with a way to open up my Aeon data in another program. I exported the CSV file, assuming I could change that in other places, re-import it, and then have an on-going timeline with changes if need be.

Just to check if it worked, I exported the data and then decided to import it right away. I get this message:

Am I reading something wrong? Shouldn’t there be no updated anything, since I am importing the data I just exported 10 seconds ago? Or does it have to check through everything to see if there are any differences first?

it looks like updting AT3 via csv is not a “no-brainer”. I only used AT3 in the beta test phase, and at that time the csv export was poorly implemented. Important data such as the short names were missing, and others such as “Status” or “Gender” only provided the internal IDs.

Aeon should actually recognise the existing items in the csv data set by the fact that they have a unique “display ID”. For new items, this field should be empty in the imported csv data record. However, it looks like you cannot rely on Aeon to take all data into account during import. Or you need to see if you can control this via the import settings.

This is something you can do in advance with a script. Keep the exported csv file in order to automatically filter out unchanged data later. You can then proceed in two stages when re-importing: first import a csv file with changed items, then a second csv file with new items.

An exciting topic. Good luck!

Thanks, Peter! Always nice to see you post, and I look forward to your coding updates in other threads. This was my attempt to somehow link Aeon with Obsidian, but seems like it won’t be as easy as I’d hoped.

Basically, you’re taking the right approach, I think. The problems arise due to shortcomings in Aeon’s csv export and import, which really should be fixed.
There are complaints and claims here in the forum that I think are exaggerated, but there is really no excuse for the fact that the only option provided for converting data into foreign formats is implemented so flawed.

Synchronization via csv is likely to be difficult. However, you could first try to create new timelines with it. Why not start by writing a program that generates a csv file for a new Aeon project from a set of Markdown files? You will be confronted with all the challenges that an Aeon developer would have to face if he ever wanted to implement Obsidian synchronization.

1 Like

@Faustyna Yes if you directly export to csv and then import again, it should only be updating items, not importing new ones. Aeon Timeline uses the column assigned as the internal id to check if the item already exists. You can read more about it here: Updating existing items via Import - Aeon Timeline 3 Knowledge Base

Are you able to send through your timeline file and the csv file that you exported from it to support@timeline.app ? This will help us look into what is happening.

Sent to support, thank you Jess!