Issue With Spellcheck Contextual Menu In Event Text Fields

When typing a misspelled word, macOS highlights it with a red underline. When right-clicking that word, macOS suggests alternative spellings. This works across all apps, but is broken in the latest Aeon Timeline 3 (3.0.7). No contextual menu pops when right-clicking a misspelled word in an Event text field. I’ve only checked Event text fields, so unsure if it is broken in other areas. The workaround I’ve found is to copy the word, paste it into another application, correct the spelling with the contextual menu there, then copy/paste it back into Aeon Timeline 3.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
macOS 11.6

That’s interesting, because there was also an issue with TextExpander not working within the text fields, so I could imagine this has the same cause. I’m curious to hear what Matt says to this.

Hi,
Thanks for this report.

You are correct that right click menus within the app are currently disabled, mostly to block a bunch of other menu items that are contextually inappropriate. The auto-correction suggestions as you type do still come up and work.

I must admit, I wasn’t even aware that a right click spelling correction existed on Mac!

I will create a ticket to see if we can enable it again.

Matt

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, Matt. Autocorrect isn’t very kind to authors who constantly use special words (Sci-Fi, Fantasy authors), so we tend to have that turned off. Right clicking after typing is my goto, and perhaps many others. Would be productive to have it reenabled and allow us to ignore the unusable contextual content (or gray it out) :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is a fair request, I will create a ticket to follow it up.

I have just released 3.0.9, which includes this fix.

I’m using 3.1.9 on Windows 11 and all of my character names are underlined in red in my event descriptions. It’s very annoying and right-click doesn’t do anything.

Aeon Timeline
Version: 3.1.9
Shell Version: 3.1.9
Opening Mode: Editor
Operating System: Windows 10
Device Model: Modern 15 A5M

1 Like

I was able to fix this by adding the words to my custom dictionary using the procedure linked below. A right-click would have been a nicer way to do this. I tried to do a right-click in another application, but no other applications had red squigglies for the names. Not sure why.

1 Like

I’m running Windows 11, app version/shell 3.1.9.

I, too, have been annoyed by the red-highlighted so-called misspelled words that are often simply my invented characters or locations. I appreciate @AwkwardDreams suggestion regarding the spell-check dictionary – I hadn’t known about that. But for me, that’s not really a solution because it’s a multi-step process that takes my mind off of my story during the brainstorming/plotting phase (which I do in Aeon Timeline). I want the expected behavior for Windows, which is to right-click and add it to my dictionary as well as optionally be able to turn the auto check off in the Aeon Timeline app.

1 Like

Note that even with manual editing of the Windows dictionary, the red squiggles are still present when the event description is first entered. You have to select something else and come back to make them go away. This is pretty annoying since pretty much all of my descriptions have character names, so red squiggles appear in every description I entered, even though I haven’t misspelled anything.

1 Like

I will pass this onto our developers to investigate whether auto-spell check can be disabled in some way.

1 Like