Moving dates with time constraints leaves one chain of events behind

Hi,

I have a long chain of events which are all ordered by date constraints in the form of
main_event 1 takes place on a certain date
main_event 2 takes place after end of event 1 + 20 minutes
and so on

another chain of events is ordered the same way starting 6 years earlier. The first event in that chain of events is defined with the time constraint
starts before start of main_event 1 -6 years

so far so good.
My expectation now is that when I take main_event 1 and move it through the timeline that all of the events get their dates redefined based on their constraints. It works well with the subsequent events after main_event 1. But the chain of events which take place 6 years earlier just stay where they are. None of them are locked. They are nested in a parent event the duration of which is defined by the accumulated duration of the child events.

Only if I delete the absolute dates which are filled in automatically by Aeon based on the constraints does the first event of the “6 years earlier” chain of events move to its new place, dragging its subsequent events along with it nicely.

How can I define that first event in the “6 years earlier” chain of events in a way that it follows any transposition of “main_event 1” through the timeline?

Are you moving the main event to a later date or an earlier one? It might be that you need to change your constraints from “starts before” the main event by -6 years, to “equals start of” the main event, with an offset of -6 years. Otherwise, if you move the main event to a later date, the first events will remain in the same spot because they are still >6 years earlier. If you want them to always be exactly 6 years earlier, then you would have to use the “equals start of” constraint.

2 Likes

OMG, that was it! Completeley logical and therefore a tiny bit embarassing, lol.
Thank you!