Multiple Narratives?

True, that might work.

1 Like

In project management there is baseline, the first calculated original project plan, then as your project progress, you can save some versions of it and alter it to fit new obstaclesā€¦ i.e. replanningā€¦
It would be nice if that was possible both in the timeline and in the narrative viewā€¦ and then just use a split view to compare themā€¦

But I think it will be a lot of programming to be able to store different version for each object and create and view the different timelines at onesā€¦ in most project management software the baseline is just showed as a shadow or a faded block with another color in the same timeline viewā€¦ but none of them have a narrative view.

@ahansonauthor & @Rob Thank you both for the time and effort in shining light onto this objective. I think that that creating duplicates of events is the way to go. Yes, there is some housekeeping involved, but not too arduous. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Lucho

2 Likes

Hi!
Can you upload the template file? Interesting to see it

Hi @Serabale,

I will happily upload the file, but I will need to pull together some instructions to go with it. I wonā€™t be able to get around to that for a few days though as I have other deadlines to meet in the meantime.

Thanks for your interest.

Itā€™s dangerous to respond to a thread having read only half, but Iā€™ll risk it here. I have exactly this request, and @ahansonauthor asks just the right questions.

My situation: My timeline includes the events of a multi-book saga (plus a number of short stories). Iā€™m less concerned about syncing that designing, though sync ability would be a nice plus.

Is there any way that some sections of the timeline could be designated Book 1 (with title), and otherā€™s Book 2, etc.? The idea is that these are discreet MSs.

Reusing scenes ā€” in the sense of events ā€” would also be a plus. But itā€™s not critical to the concept.

Thanks. Now back to reading this thread.

Thomas

Andrew, did you ever upload the template you discussed?

Thanks,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I did not upload the template at the time, because it was not possible to save template files with existing narrative structures at the time of writing. And the template very much depended upon this ability. Now, in the latest 3.2 versions, templates allow existing narrative structures to be saved. However, not everyone will be able to use the template or even a file saved from the template, as only users with current licenses, and who are using the recent beta versions can access them. I may very well upload an article discussing multiple narratives in AT3 on my Medium, and include a link. But that is more likely to happen when 3.2 is out of beta, as it may not be of interest to a wider audience, until that point.

If you like, Iā€™d be happy to test it out. Iā€™m on the beta track and have a current use for it.

I have a multi-book series project with multiple characters and storylines, some characters and threads spanning all storylines, some just a few, and some just one (i.e., appertaining to just one book). Tough to manage all this without working some Aeon magic.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your interest in my template/ file. Iā€™m happy for you to test it. I was hoping to write a medium post re multiple narratives in AT3 but have been writing articles on other topics and working on my novel. So perhaps you could PM me your email address and I can send something across? In lieu of a blog post Iā€™ll include some instructions in a Note item type.

Iā€™ll have to work on that tomorrow afternoon, after my dayā€™s writing is finished. So it might take a day to get something to you.

Regards

Andrew