My thoughts after using the release version for a few hours

Things look very promising, but there’s one issue that really breaks my creative process. This might have been brought up in the beta forums, but now we have the first release.

As far as I can tell, the views (spreadsheet would be the main culprit) have no way of adding something after (or before) the currently selected item. It’s add to the bottom of a growing list and then drag upward until you find the correct spot, right?
I know you can sort of add an event where you desire in the timeline view by clicking in there, but even that is very fiddly and error-prone.

Anyway, it frequently distracted me when I had ideas piled up, so please consider working on this soon. Inserting new items into the spreadsheet should be a simple matter. Adding to the timeline might be slightly more complicated, but seems very doable?

If there’s something I’ve missed, I’ll be happy to stand corrected.

Hi,
I just took a look at our Spreadsheet View help page and I missed describing this. I will make a note to update it.

Insert into Spreadsheet View (and Outline View)

• Select the cell above where you want to insert a new item
  • Click + in the sidebar, and choose the item type you want to insert (you can also use the listed keyboard shortcuts)
  • A new item will be inserted below your selected item.
  • The new item’s label cell should receive focus, so you can begin typing the label straight away

Insert into Timeline View

• Double click at the date you want the new item inserted
  • Type a label for the new item
  • Alternatively, using the add buttons in the sidebar will add the item at the date in the center of the view.

Insert into Narrative View

• Select the item before where you want to insert
  • Use sidebar + button, or keyboard shortcuts
  • The new item will be inserted after your selected item
  • Type a label

Hope this helps!

Matt

Much obliged, Matt. This will help a lot.

I’ll test this tomorrow, for sure.

I have updated the Spreadsheet View article to include the steps above for inserting items.

The timeline and narrative view options were already included in their articles.