Narrative order in other views

I know that there is currently a feature request on the website relating to showing Narrative View in other views such as Subway view, but I wanted to add some context for why I think this feature is useful, if not vital, for showcasing Aeon Timeline’s ability to plan stories at their structural level.

I have posted elsewhere about templates and story structures: Template Creation and Narrative Structure Retention. @jess has confirmed that this is to be added in a future release. It will facilitate preloaded narrative skeletons, to help show major plot point outlines within templates, and help users grasp how a story theory can be used to plot and structure their stories.

Narrative order in other views will add to this visualisation of a story’s progression by showing which narrative scenes have a particular story element attached to them. For instance, tracks on the Subway view could show which scenes make up a sequence of scenes showcasing the protagonist’s Ordinary World, as per the Hero’s Journey. As well as which scenes contain the Call of Adventure, Refusal of the Call etc. Another track could contain Red Herrings, or Clues, Inciting Incident, First Plot Point, and so on.

The above is, of course, currently organised in chronological order. But, presumably, if the feature for narrative order were implemented, the view would show chapters and scenes.

For anyone who has used Plottr, they may recognise this kind of view, where a story can be mapped out and have various elements shown against a timeline. I’m not asking for AT3 to simply mimic Plottr. Rather, I’m just showing how this useful Plottr view is already 90% achievable in AT3. In fact, everything Plottr can do, AT3 can do so much better. But there are some tweaks required, and Narrative Order in other views is one such tweak.

AT3 has so many ways to show data and relationships and users can filter and search for information regarding plot points etc, but I think Subway view and Relationship view provide a much more visual way of accessing this information.

Obviously there are updates on the horizon and a beta, but it would be so useful to have this feature implemented soon.

Andrew

4 Likes

I join in this feature request.

I back this feature request too.

1 Like

I’m still hoping! For now, I’ve been conforming the Timeline/Spreadsheet events to my Narrative/Outline views, just to get my Subway view to appear in the correct order. That pretty much defeats the brilliance of separating the Narrative/Outline views from the Timeline/Spreadsheet view, of course – and it wastes a lot of time. Besides, it’s only a matter of time (no pun intended) before my story’s Timeline/Spreadsheet events diverge from the Narrative/Outline events, so what then?