Narrative timline includes flashbacks. How do I set this up?

I have a lot of flashbacks in my story that need to be revealed as the narrative unfolds. I don’t want the timline to show them by their chronological date. How do I do this? I can’t find any tutorials for it.

Many thanks in advance.

I’m not quite sure if I’ve understood you correctly. Is it this: You have events in your narrative that should not appear in the timeline view?

I can think of two different solutions:
Either you simply omit the date/time from the flashback events. As far as I know, this works with Aeon 3.
Or you can mark your flashback events with a tag or a colour so that you can filter them out in the timeline view. That seems to me to be the more elegant solution.

Thanks, Peter

I’d figured out the no dates solution, in the end but appreciate your help :slight_smile:

I’m glad I could help. Actually, I would prefer to assign the flashback events the regular date and time where they take place in my story. It would then be before the events of the main storyline, but that’s just what I wanted to see.

The basic idea is as follows:

The plot of a story consists of a sequence of events as a sequence of cause and effect. I can start by entering this in the timeline and adding dates and times.

When I then tell the story, I can decide which of the events I want to use as a flashback. In the “Narrative” view, the order of the scenes that I derive from the events then changes accordingly.

2 Likes

I‘d also encourage you to look into the narrative folder functionality in order to make use of flashbacks. Of course you have to define if by „Flashback“ you mean: The event from the past is narrated or „person X is having a flashback in the real time“.

2 Likes