Outline columns for character goals & motivation

Anyone please help me on the following, how I open the particular page show in the first/second screenshot. My narrative outline (third screenshot) does not show these columns for participant characters. How I can enable it?

Hmm, that picture from the site doesn’t look like it’s a screenshot, and more of a constructed promotional material.

There’s no way to have arbitrary data per event and per item (character or location), but depending on your actual goal, I’ll share two solutions I can think of:

There is a somewhat convoluted way to achieve this view in the outline window, albeit not in linking a character item and events:
What is possible is to create new textual properties on narrative events, one for each major character, to store that text data on the events. Because these are properties, you can fill them in for every relevant event.

The downsides are that these properties cannot be coupled to your actual characters, so any name change would need to be done twice (once on the character object and once on the property type), and that they also do not correspond to item relationships, so filling them in does not reflect in the relationship matrix or the subway lines. Also, it requires manual bookkeeping if you add or delete characters.

The upsides are that you are able to filter on the content of these properties, and use any other features that works with properties. And you do get the per-character trace that you’d want.

I would not do all of this, because the cons outweigh the pros.

What I would do to track character goals and such is a combination of two things:

• when characters change in a major way, I’d actually create a new item for them, and have per-item goals and motivations and such.
  • when characters have a goal local to an event, i put that in the event’s properties. Usually in the notes, but that can be wherever you feel is better, as long as you can filter on it (using “match any” with your character names for example).
1 Like