Questions on Relationships

I’m not sure how Relationships work but lets say you create a Data Type called Math Class.
You then relate who you want in that class.
But as time goes on people will come and go.
So is it possible to give people start and stop times for their relationship?
Maybe as a future request?
Or should I not be using relationships in that way?

One example I can think of, if you look up almost any band on Wikipedia you will see colored lines showing when a certain member played in the band under the timeline section.

It’s not possible to have multiple start / end dates for a specific data type. Instead you need to think about how to utilise the current system possibilities to best meet your needs for a data structure.

So, in your example of a Math Class ask yourself some questions.

1. How many classes
  2. Do classes span multiple years
  3. How do people relate to the class
  4. Do people switch class mid year
    Etc.

Assuming a math class lasts one year I would create a class data type with a naming convention of something like MathClass1-2020, MathClass2-2020, MatchClass1-2021 etc Each class would then have a start and end date for that given year. You can then associate people(students) with a specific class/year.

With regards the band example (which is something I actually use) I have three data types:

1. Band
  2. Lineup
  3. Musician

Each data type has its own start/end date i.e. When band formed/disbanded, when lineup existed, musicians birth/death. I relate the musician to the lineup and the lineup to the band. This gives me something like this…

I don’t think this is the only approach. It very much depends on how you want to visualise the data as well as maintaining it.

Hope this helps.