Relation labels on cards in timeline

Would it be possible to enable the relation labels on the cards in the timeline to become navigation links?

so that it will be possible to navigate to any linked object by clicking on the “label” in the card?

Reason: for large projects (timelines), I like to have as much screen estate as possible for the timeline, so I close all side panels including the Inspector, but by doing that there is limited ways (no way?) of navigate from item to item

Hi Jaran,
When you say “navigate to the item”, what do you have in mind?

• Select the item and show it in the Inspector, but with no context of where it is?

• Pop open an entity panel on the left showing where it is in context?

• Scroll the timeline to put that object into view if it is shown there?

• All of the above?

Matt

This would be what I was asking for…

Just a simple way to go to the linked object… It would, as discussed another place, be nice to also have an “hover over” shows “details”, but personally I can open the Inspector for editing…

Only thing that I would see as a benefit was that there was possible to show custom properties on the timeline card and if the text for that property was long “to long” the whole text was displayed on hover over the property in the card.
(discussion another place in the forum)

I proposed the same in another post. Actually I was almost suggesting the user there to use this function, but then hesitated to realize it’s not there. I think it would be a very obvious addition to make it possible to select an item in the item card.
Even though I wouldn‘t prefer the scrolling in the timeline. I guess this could become annoying if you just want to check something in that item but not loose your position in the timeline. I would expect it to open the inspector (from where it is easy to navigate to the timeline position if you want to).

I use Aeon for historical research, so for me the timeline is an analyzer and visualization tool, much the same as a network graph, but bound to a timeline. I use it mainly to see how multiple “Events” and objects relate to each other in time, and to other “Events” and objects not related to it… So for me navigating in the timeline is a natural thing…

When you are looking for someone or something and have found 3-5 different version of “it”, a timeline for all events “before and after”, and tie those up with facts and proof you know is correct, can be the piece in the puzzle that solve the mystery…
I also use network graph tools for this, but some times it’s just easier with a timeline… A combination would be a miracle cure for many problems that occur…
And I also wish to keep track of the research in the same timeline, to be able to link the research journals made 100-200 years later to the objects of interest…

I of course also want to “publish” some of this some time, but not sure what tool I’m gonna use for that yet. Markdown and Pandoc maybe, or learning R., and use some libraries and plugins for static html pages… or publish online with an Omeka Site maybe…
One thing I know is that I will mark the site/pages for archiving in archive.org at some point, so it must be kind of technically simple…

1 Like

Maybe it could be something you choose in the settings: either open in inspector only or navigate to the item in the timeline as well. I can see that the latter can be useful. But if you just want to add or change some information for that item and otherwise continue to work on that part of the timeline you‘re currently seeing, it could be frustrating to get dragged elsewhere involuntarily.

1 Like

Yes, I fully support this suggestion, because there might be more users than me that will be using this feature, even though they don’t know it yet… :rofl: :rofl:

A side note to this…
I think a card labels link should be enabled as link after X milliseconds of hover over it, because if you have many links, it can be overcrowded and easy to accidently click on one of them…

Or a double click. [This post must have at least 20 characters, therefore I add this nonsense]

1 Like