Scrivener-what's a scene vs. event?

I feel perpetually confused about how to structure scene/event link between Scrivener & Aeon. I’m getting the impression that Aeon “wants” there to be one event which corresponds with one scene. But, if I’m understanding correctly, that is counter to the idea of the Narrative view. Here’s where this is causing me problems:
In Scrivener: I have a relatively flat structure right now: Part I, Sc. 1, Sc. 2, etc., Part II…
Each scene may consist of a single event or several events. Eventually, scenes may become parts of chapters, but I haven’t decided on that yet.

In Aeon, obviously, the events are on the timeline. When I sync, the scenes come over to Aeon as scenes unassociated with any events. Then I seem to have two choices: make the event and the scene the same thing, in which case there must be a 1:1 correspondence between events and scenes, so why bother differentiating? Or, nest the events within a scene in the narrative view, so that only the narrative view has scenes (which seems to make sense to me). That works until I sync. When I sync, a new file is created in Scrivener for each event, and each of my scene files in Scrivener is turned into a folder with the empty event nested underneath it. The other problem is that the metadata fields are associated with…I don’t know what…events? scenes? It seems to depend on where they started. Some of my metadata seems best with events (e.g., weather), and other pieces of metadata seem best associated with scenes (thematic elements).

Can anyone explain this to me like I’m 5?
Thank you!

You are correct that the syncing between Aeon Timeline and Scrivener has a one to one correspondence with the documents in Scrivener and the items in Aeon Timeline.
The idea of the Narrative View is to allow you to order your events in their Narrative Order, as opposed to their Chronological order that appears on the Timeline View. This is useful for people who are writing novels that aren’t strictly linear in the time, or just so that people can organise their events into the book structure (eg. Chapter, Part etc.)
However when syncing with Scrivener, the Narrative View shows your structure of Manuscript (or other chosen) folder. So if you do have your project set out where you have Scenes in Scrivener that contain multiple events in Aeon Timeline, then you wouldn’t be able to have these events in the Narrative View (as you found it, it will just create more documents in Scrivener). If you want to view them somehow in Narrative View, then instead you could relate them to one another, and set the option that relationships to other events is displayed on that view. See the screenshot below for how that would look:

I hope this helps, let us know if you have anymore questions.

1 Like