Selecting text in a label on the timeline and accidentally dragging out of frame deselects the event

Scenario:

A label for an event created on the timeline has multiple lines.

I want to select one of those lines and delete it.

If I drag from the end of the line (the right side) to the beginning of the line (the left side, against the edge of the frame bounding the label) to select it then all is well as long as I stay within the frame.

The issue is that if I go a few pixels beyond the frame (beyond the left edge of the frame), the event becomes deselected and I lose my selection. This requires me to select the text again to select it.

Request: allow the user to drag outside the frame when selecting text and maintain the selection.

Reasoning: if I am moving quickly to add several events I don’t want to have to slow down to precisely select a line. Note: I can double click on the last segment of the line (the 042 in the image) and drag across and this does help some, but I’d rather just the motion be fluid with a single click and drag so I can move quicker.

I hope I’m clear in this description, I tried recording a video but the issue isn’t recorded when recording a video clip of that region of the screen. If you need further clarification I can take the time to illustrate this better. I’ve put a screen shot of one of these events in this post.

Edit: I am posting this as a feature request because I don’t consider it a bug and there are plenty of workarounds (use spreadsheet view, for example).

1 Like