Use Page Numbers for Time

Is there any way to treat the timeline’s scale in pages and not in explicit time?
I want an event to happen at page 5, not on day 2 at 6pm.
Is this possible? I know you can have custom calendars, but can’t get my head around how to do this, if it can be done at all.

cheers

No, you can’t convert the scale on the timeline to be in pages instead of time.

Instead you can use the Narrative View, which is intended for people to organise their events by narrative order in their story (eg. page 5, or chapter 1)

You can read about that here: Narrative and Outline Views (Desktop) - Aeon Timeline 3 Knowledge Base

Right. Except I’m a very visual person.
The Timeline gives me a view that…jives with my brain.

Is there a way to do away with time?
(now there’s a story idea…)

Also thanks for replying!

There currently isn’t a way to not use time on the timeline, however if it is only page numbers that you are wanting to track, then you could still use the date on a timeline to represent this, even though that is not what is intended.

If you open Timeline Settings, and set the maximum precision to be “Year”, then your dates will only have years in them (eg .2023, 2022 etc).

Then your dates will all be in the format of a single number, and therefore could represent page numbers instead. (Year 1 could be Page 1, a duration of 2 years would be 2 pages etc.) There isn’t a way to change the text to reflect this, but it would still display like you are wanting on the timeline, especially if you adjust the zoom levels so that you don’t zoom past years to start showing month intervals etc. on the timeline.

2 Likes

that’s not crazy at all.
I tried another way. I need 1 day to equal 1 hour.
and just to be clear, you mean the timeline settings here:

?

No, sorry when I referred to Timeline Settings, I meant the Settings window which you can open with the cog icon on the task bar, or from View->Show Settings

Brilliant. I had not quite understood the first time.
Thank you so much for you help.

cheers!