What is the maximum timeline file size

I am planning a story that will span over several years. That is massive events and potential file attachments (will try to limit these). What are the limitations on file size.

1 Like

There isn’t any set maximum timeline file size, however very large files will tend to slow down the application, depending on your computer and how large the file is. We are continually working on making optimisations to the application to improve this.

1 Like

Many thanks Jess for the guidance

Just be aware that you can not export a large timeline with e.g. a span of 20 - 60 years to any graphical format with a precision of days…

there is an artificial limit on the maximum points for the dimensions of the export, this including export to PDF (vector graphic).
This could have been avoided with the use of a pdf version 1.6 or newer…

I’m a prospective purchaser for macOS. My intended use is for family history so I have ≈10^5 events at present. Given performance is a function of hardware and OS, and the perception of “slowing down” is relative to a user, is there any benchmarking data available?

We don’t have any specific benchmarks for this. We are currently working on improving the performance of the app on large timelines, however yours does sound particularly large, so it may struggle.

Thanks for your prompt response. Of course I can always split my file into smaller files if performance is objectionably slow. I’ll share any data I might collect.

1 Like