When is Export to Web Functionality Coming to AT3?

Along with several other desperate users, I’ve commented on this subject under Mac & Windows (Desktop) / Export to web gone? but there I’ve reached the limit of 3 topic replies for “new” users.

I would like to share my use case, which should provide a good example of an Aeon Timeline user who doesn’t dare upgrade from AT2 to AT3 because the web-export functionality is the only viable option for sharing his work. If I somehow lose the ability to run AT2, I will no longer be able to share, in any useful or meaningful way, years of painstaking work.

Over the past 5 years, I have constructed a single timeline with over 950 “primary” events. Some of those events are themselves containers – parents for hundreds of secondary events. So the total number of events is well over 1000. Every single one of these events contains crucial explanatory text, including bibliographic references to an accompanying research document. (Thus, all 1000+ events must be expanded, or expandable, in any useful export, otherwise there’s no point in sharing it.) The vast majority of events also contain additional contextual explanations, interpretations, photos, and links to other documents.

This timeline spans about 300 years. Some individual events span decades. Other events span just a few minutes. (Yes, minutes.) When I work inside AT2, I am constantly zooming back and forth between a decadal scale and an hourly scale. Thus, for me to share this timeline in its entirety – which is the only meaningful way to share it – a useful export must be able to capture information distributed on scales that span many orders of magnitude.

Now let’s talk entities. Each of the above events is further defined according to several cross-cutting categories. The first category contains 13 non-exclusive entries. The second category, locale, has well over 100 entries. The third category, participants, is similarly vast. These categorical notations must also be depicted on each expanded event, again in order for an export to be useful.

When I expand every single event and then tell AT2 to export the entire timeline to PNG or PDF, it cheerfully reports that the image dimensions will be 11112 x 497685 pixels. After several minutes of churning on a 2022 MacBook Air, it generates a broken (un-openable) 550 MB png file. The pdf file is only 2.6 MB, but also broken. I know from previous experience that even if these files were viewable, they would be absolutely useless – the PDF file would translate to a printout that is many feet long, covered with unreadable 1pt typeface everywhere.

I’ve been using Aeon Timeline for years because it is an amazing, fantastic tool. Not only has it become absolutely essential to my workflow, but it made a previously impossible project possible. But I am tethered to the web-export functionality of AT2, and worried that I may lose the ability to meaningfully share this very time-consuming project.

If there is a workaround in AT3 that can genuinely handle my use case, I’d be happy to learn about them. But, to date, none of the workarounds that have been suggested to me are even remotely feasible for me (or, at the very least, I’ve failed to get them to work).

Although there have been some communications from AT support (thank you!) that the web export feature is being developed, or at least considered, for AT3, it’s not listed on the feature request page. Is it still in the future for AT3? If so, is there a rough estimate as to when it might roll out?

3 Likes

I can see you have the same problems as me, and to be honest, I feel scammed when it comes to the Aeon 3 upgrade and the cost of the software.

In addition, as you mention, there is another big problem with Aeon 3, and that is the arbitrary limitation of the dimensions in the export to pdf or image within Aeon 3.
There is no possible way to export a large timeline with an accuracy of days or less.

I have tried to extract the timeline from the PDF as a SVG and create a dynamic timeline in Incscape, but it is near impossible because of all the shapes they use to build up the image, and since I neither can get my Timeline out as a PDF with the accuracy I need, the job to create a dynamic SVG timeline is a waste of time anyway.

I did upgrade from ver. 2 to ver. 3, because of all the whistles of the new relations etc. that was added, and all of those features is really great, but when you can’t utilize your research (timeline) for anything, it soon become a waste of time using the software…

I think that if those of us that do large research projects need a timeline software, we either need to start looking at open source web solutions or desktop software that is extremely more expensive.

Personally, I do most of my research in Obsidian and Foam now, and try to utilize the features in the different addons and extensions that are available for those apps.

I am also looking at Running Reality as a desktop replacement for Aeon 3, it does not have as many features regarding relations etc. and it is not anything close when it comes to user friendly, it is way slower too, but it is an alternative.

For me, the Aeon Timeline 3 software looks like it is about to die/shut down, leaving those of us that bought with a half functional software…

It may still be usable for those using Scrivener, but for anyone that either want to use it as a standalone timeline software or using it in combination with other research software, I cannot recommend this software anymore.

And for me to do any “renew” there must be a really huge upgrade, where both the export to web and the dimensions when exporting to pdf/image has been fixed in addition to all the problems with limited calendars, limited constraints etc.

1 Like

I’m curious about this, too. How should a timeline of, say, 10 years’ width be exported with a resolution of one day?

As a progressive SVG file and as a Web app.

But to be honest, I don’t really understand you question…

When you work with historical data it is important that the data is accurate, that’s also true for any dates, and it is important that that accuracy also is reflected when you export/share the data with others.

It’s no point doing research with maybe 3000 ships over 10-20-30 years (as I do) and maybe as many as 20-40000 other entities (sailors, documents, companies) if you can’t show the accurate result to others… (If you want to).

it’s no point registring that a ship was at port at 20 of January 1920, if all you can show is that it had an event sometime in the 1920s, and when that ship has a 30 years long history, it is kind of important that you can share any and all Events and dates as accurate as you have registered it with others, else, your research are of no value for other researchers or people that might want to use the data for their own personal research (or whatever)…

I would also like to be able to publish timeline data. It’s just a little tricky when it’s wide and deep.

Exporting to CSV and creating a spreadsheet file might be useful.

I also make history-timelines with Aeon Timeline. But without html-export I do not have an idea how to present these timelines - or what could you recommend?

The best way at the moment is to not create to large timelines, then export to PDF and open the PDF in Inkscape, then save it as SVG.

SVG can be used with html, svg can also be made “dynamic” with a little work in Inkscape, but it is a lot extra work and to get a good solution you both need to know about SVG and use a lot of time…

but serious, there is no good export functionality for any use from Aeon at the moment.

You can export to CSV and try to use another software to create some reports etc.

Actually, your best bet to create timelines you can share today, might be the software “Running Reality”.

Thank you, but for me that would be a reason to leave Aeon Timeline if there are no possibilities for good export. What I do as work in my office is not for me only, but for listeners in seminars etc. So a possibility to present timelines are necessary.

I really think you should take a look at Running Reality in that case: