When will Subway view show events of the Narrative/Outline views?

Many of us have a pet feature we’re hoping to see. Mine is to be able to toggle the Subway view optionally to show the Narrative events. Right now, it shows just the Spreadsheet events.

I am too often forced to conform the Spreadsheet to my Narrative so that I may view my story in Subway view, which not only distracts me from writing but defeats the advantages of separating the Spreadsheet from the Narrative views.

I can’t just use the Spreadsheet for my story and disregard the Narrative view because I have flashbacks and even a flashforward, which is one reason I need to use the Narrative view. The other is that only the Narrative view syncs with Scrivener, which I use.

So, @Rebecca, what can you tell us? Is this being actively worked on for the desktop edition?

3 Likes

This is my number one feature. The lack of which pushed me towards Plottr. We have narrative view and outline view in AT3, but subway view was made to dissect key story elements in my opinion, and without narrative order it is extremely hampered.

I’m hopeful though that this is on the list of features being implemented. We shall see…,

2 Likes

So, I’m not alone on this. I think the Subway view is brilliant. It just needs to optionally show the Narrative and it would be perfect.

Hi @SCN, we have some tentative plans for this. I’ll be posting an update for beta testers later this week with more details – am just a bit behind due to not being able to shake a cold over the past couple of weeks, but almost there!

2 Likes

I hope you feel better soon, @Rebecca.

I’ve requested to join the beta testers but haven’t heard back.

We only confirm people in batches when a release is coming out, which is why you wouldn’t have heard back yet. We’ll be processing applications late this week or early next week.

Makes sense–thanks.

Subway view is very cool and unique. Instead of the default chronological sorting of events (it is after all a Timeline), we’d have to create attributes for events that are based on narrative order.

And then there is the narrative structural elements that do not yet exist in the timeline and subway view - i.e. the position (scene, chapter, part, …) . Pivoting all of these data attributes will be a mental challenge for both developers and users.

Just a thought - is it possible to create a mindmap of the data model? A dated term would be entity relationship diagram.

I came into this space from Plottr and recognized that A.T. is a database driven app with object attributes and relationships. I imagine adding a narrative sort order is trivial on the backend (database) but presents challenges in the UI with how to implement it. I can see where a visual queue representing current sort order status is necessary in any view that offers up different sort options; especially in light of being able to drag and drop elements in one view and how it affects the other views. I can see myself getting off track in a hurry; the proverbial shooting of feet.

Looking forward to seeing this functionality as well. For me, A.T. is light years ahead of all other plotting tools. Cheers!

1 Like

Oh, it’s good that you point this out. I had expected the subway would do exactly that. I work with Scrivener as well :smiley:
The subway view is one of the reasons why I bought the upgrade to Scrivener 3 :smiley:

Let’s hope it will get a release soon!

1 Like